Eleven Rockland BOCES Career and Technical Education students were awarded medals at the Area 4 New York State SkillsUSA competition on Tuesday.
More than 200 Career and Technical Education students representing Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Northern Westchester, Southern Westchester, Sullivan, Ulster, and Rockland BOCES tested their technical prowess at the day-long annual competition at Rockland Community College.
During the competition, career and technical education students compete against their peers across their region in 18 judged contests, with hands-on and written activities.
Rockland BOCES’ Digital Design & Marketing instructor and SkillsUSA advisor and Area 4 Director Patrick Mitrione coordinated the event.
Here are the winning students and the categories they competed in:
1st place (3 medals):
- Action Skills Basic – Aiyana Cano, Food Services, BOCES HS @ Suffern, East Ramapo
- Prepared Speech – Nichole Lema, Cosmetology II, Nanuet
- Related Technical Math – Dylan Roadarmel, Carpentry II, Clarkstown South
2nd place (4 medals):
- Auto Vehicle Maintenance Basic – Simon Weisler, Auto Tech II, Clarkstown South
- Senior Cosmetology – Nicole Russo, Cosmetology II, North Rockland
- First Aid / CPR – Alysia Borgos, Medical & Nursing Fundamentals, BOCES HS @ TZ, North Rockland
- Prepared Speech – Sarafinah Joseph, Cosmetology II, Nanuet
3rd place (4 medals):
- Advertising Design – Angela Hall, Digital Design, Suffern
- Culinary Arts – Josiah Sanders, Culinary, CBI Tech, Mt. Vernon
- Nurse Assisting – Jessica Fray, Medical & Nursing Fundamentals, Clarkstown North
- Job Interview – Kayla DeRuvo, Cos II, Suffern
SkillsUSA is a national organization serving more than 300,000 high school and college students and professional members who are enrolled in training programs in technical, skilled and service occupations, including health occupations, by providing quality education experiences for students in leadership, teamwork, citizenship and character development.